Trekking to the Top of Sacred Mt. Bogd Khan Tour
Bogd Khan Mountain strictly protected area is the first protected place in the world, since 1778. The Bogd Khan Uul, in the south of Ulaanbaatar, has an area of 416 square km and the highest point is Tsetsee Gun which is 2256 meters above sea level. The Bogd Khan Mountain has over 220 species of plants, some rare animals like red deer, musk deer, Siberian deer, Siberian ibex, wild boar and many species of birds such as common buzzard, woodpecker, stork and others. The mountain is great for hiking and it is popular for its forest with larch trees, grasslands, stunning plants and its animal life. Climbing to the top of the tors of the granite cliff peak, Tsetsee Gun for splendid views is really challenging. The peak is a three hour hike away and five-six hours for the roundtrip hike.
Manzushir Khiid or “Manzushir Monastery” is located in the southern part of the mountain Bogd Khan Uul, at an altitude of 1800 meters above sea level. The monastery enjoys a beautifully stunning setting surrounded by a forest of Siberian larch with a backdrop of natural granite cliffs eroded into tors of huge rounded boulders. Many thousands have fallen from the cliffs to make a grassy spreading out to the forest. The monastery had over 20 temples and was once home to at least 300 monks but was destroyed in the 1930s. A reconstruction project is underway. The main temple has been restored and converted into a museum but the other buildings in the area remain in ruins. The ruins of the original monastery, dating from 1733, are clearly visible. A god image, carved in the granite rock at the monastery, is a unique historical and cultural exposition. There is a big boiling kettle with a diameter of 2.15 meters, a depth of 1.4 meters and capacity of one ton that is known to have been used here to cook food for 1000 people at one time.
|Group size||Cost pp||Winter cost|
Note: -Price USD/ per person
-Single supplement is available at USD
- Transportation by private car with fuel
- Experienced driver
- Guiding/ interpreting service
- Hiking guide
- A bottle of water, daily
- Entrance fees for museum & protected areas
- Alcoholic drinks
- Video and photographing fees
- Extra and optional activities’ cost
- Tips for guide and driver
- Every 16th member is free for group tours
- Who brings minimum 3 pax
- More attractive prices for more pax.
Tour itinerary day by day
- Meet at your hotel/ accommodations in the morning and we will drive southwest to Manzushir.
- Visit a small, but interesting natural museum. The brief visit to the museum will introduce you to some of the wildlife and natural beauty of the area.
- See a large boiling pot that is known to have been used here to cook food for 1000 people at one time.
- Visit the reconstructed main temple and the other temple ruins of Manzushir.
- Enjoy seeing the unique historical and cultural expositions of god images carved in the granite rock.
- Here you will enjoy the best view of the Manzushir area.
- Start hiking to the Tsetsee Gun Holy Peak (2256 meters) on Sacred Bogd Khan Mountain in its strictly protected area.
- Have a picnic lunch on the way. (Lunch)
- Enjoy the splendid view of Ulaanbaatar and the surrounding areas from the top of Bogd Khan Mountain.
- Hike down the mountain.
- Drive back to Ulaanbaatar city and transfer to your hotel/ accommodations.